UNIT 4- CARS AND DRIVING

  


GRAMMAR 1:

THE PAST CONTINUOS

VOCABULARY: 

  • Bad driving habits
  • Car parts
  • Ways to respond (with concern / relief)

  • Phrasal verbs for talking about cars.
  • Car types
  • Driving behavior


How can we make the past continuous? Firstly, check that you know how to make the past simple with 'be' (subject + was / were). Then just add verb-ing.

Here's the positive form: Was/ were

  • I was sleeping
  • You were working

Next, here's the negative - it's very easy, just add 'not': wasn't/ weren't

  • I was not (wasn't) sleeping
  • you were not (weren't) working

And, just like the past simple with 'be', to make a 'yes / no' question, put 'was / were' in front of the subject:

  • Was I listening?
  • Were you working?

To make a 'wh' question (of course) put the question word at the beginning: 

  • Why was I working?
  • Where were you living?



EXERCISE

  1. (I / go to school when you saw me)
  2. (you / sleep at 6am)
  3. (she / work when I called)
  4. (we / not / leave when you called)
  5. (I / not / stay in a hotel)

ANSWERS

  1. I was going to school when you saw me.
  2. You were sleeping at 6am.
  3. She was working when I called.
  4. We weren't leaving when you called.
  5. I wasn't staying in a hotel.

DIFFERENTIATION OF TWO GRAMMAR

Fuente:https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/9d/88/829d887278f24b75d76637a919708407.png



GRAMMAR 2

PLACEMENT OF DIRECT OBJECTS WITH PHRASAL VERBS

The placement of direct objects with phrasal verbs can be a bit tricky, but there are a few general rules to follow.

  • Separable phrasal verbs: With separable phrasal verbs, the direct object can come before or after the particle. For example:

    • I'll drop off the car. OR I'll drop the car off.
  • Inseparable phrasal verbs: With inseparable phrasal verbs, the direct object must always come after the particle. For example:

    • I'll come up with a great idea.
  • Pronoun objects: When the direct object is a pronoun, it must always come before the particle, even with separable phrasal verbs. For example:

    • I'll fill them up.

Examples:

  • Separable phrasal verb with a noun object:
    • I'll drop off the car at the airport.
    • I'll pick up the kids from school.
    • I'll fill up the gas tank on my way home.
  • Separable phrasal verb with a pronoun object:
    • I'll drop it off at the airport.
    • I'll pick them up from school.
    • I'll fill them up on my way home.
  • Inseparable phrasal verb with a noun object:
    • I'll come up with a great idea for our project.
    • I'll look into the problem and see if I can fix it.
    • I'll run into my friend at the store.
  • Inseparable phrasal verb with a pronoun object:
    • I'll come up with it.
    • I'll look into it.
    • I'll run into him at the store.

ACTIVITY




VOCABULARY VIDEO

VOCABULARY 4: CARS AND DRIVING

This vocabulary is very important in our daily life, since we can use it to be able to borrow a car or borrow it. Stay tuned to this vocabulary so that you can learn simple words such as some parts of the car, some of the different types of cars that exist.
Thank you very much for staying until the end, I know you will like it.





Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

UNIT 2- GOING TO MOVIES

UNIT 5- PERSONAL CARE AND APPEARANCE